Vascular Imaging Laboratory
Co-Director: Chun Yuan
Co-Director: Tom Hatsukami, Surgery
The Vascular Imaging Laboratory (VIL) at the University of Washington is comprised of a multi-disciplinary group of researchers who are dedicated to advancing scientific knowledge, education, and training in the field of medical imaging. Our primary focus is atherosclerosis research using high-resolution MRI and other imaging modalities such as CT, PET and ultrasound. We also provide training, pathology and clinical trial services.
The Vascular Imaging Lab is committed to advancing imaging technology and identifying the underlying causes of cardiovascular disease initiation, progression, and complications.
VIL in the News
- March 29, 2016: Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (JMIR) selects VIL paper “Contrast-Enhanced High Resolution MRI for Atherosclerotic Carotid Artery Tissue Characterization ” as one of its 25 influential papers
- February 26th , 2016: Dr. Yuan nominated for AHA’s Clinical Research Prize for 2016.
- Feb 8, 2016: Lab member Kristi Pimentel has a five year work anniversary in our lab. Congratulations and thank you for your contributions, Kristi!
- Feb 1, 2016: Lab member Jin Liu’s abstract “Motion Detection and Correction for Carotid Artery Wall Imaging using Structured Light” is accepted by ISMRM 2016 as an oral presentation. Congratulations, Jin!
- Jan 21, 2016: Dr. Peter Börnert, Principle Scientist in Philips Research Hamburg, visits our lab for two days and gives a wonderful talk entitled “Selected MR-methodological activities at Philips Research Hamburg”.
- Jan 20, 2016: Lab member Dr. Jie Sun’s paper “Blood Pressure Is a Major Modifiable Risk Factor Implicated in Pathogenesis of Intraplaque Hemorrhage: An In Vivo Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study” is accepted by Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. Congratulations, Jack!
- Jan 5, 2016: Dr. Xianling Wang from Xuanwu Hospital, China, joins the lab as a visiting scholar. Welcome, Xianling!
- Jan 5, 2016: Dr. Yuan presents at Imaging Sciences Research Lecture series on “Vessel Wall Imaging and International Studies”. RR-202 conference room at UWMC.
- Nov 30, 2015: Dr. Yao Shang from Beijing Tsinghua Chang Gung Hospital, China, joins the lab as a visiting scholar. Welcome, Yao.
- November 8, 2015: The Department of Radiology is proud to announce a new venture with the Center for Biomedical Imaging Research (CBIR) at Tsinghua University, a long-time collaborator with our lab, to explore formation of a joint research center to develop medical imaging technology. The center will involve multiple disciplines across different colleges, schools and hospitals and will bring together medicine, research and technology. (For more information, check this link.)
- Oct, 2015: We are proud to announce that our MRI system has been successfully upgraded to the state-of-the-art 3T Philips Ingenia MRI system. (Please check the details about the new scanner by this link.)